Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spring Weekends

I recently found some new to me blogs that I have enjoyed reading for the last couple of weeks.  One of those blogs is Elizabeth's.  Oh before we get to far into this you might want to grab a snack and a drink.  I have a lot to say today and lots of links for you to look at.  Go ahead I'll wait.  Well one of the features on Elizabeth's blog is Work in Progress Wednesday which you can link up to by visiting Freshly Pieced each Wednesday and sharing your current projects.  While following the links I noticed Lee had linked to a quilt along.  I assumed it was a new quilt along so I followed the link and got really excited by what I saw.  Yes I know I have a million projects going but there is just something about a quilt along that I usually manage to keep up as long as I get started at the same time as everyone else.  I completed missed the dates and the fact that this quilt along actually took place last year.  But this quilt along only called for a single charm pack and 3 yards of solids.  I knew right away that I would use my lonely charm pack of Dream On because really there are so few projects for just one charm pack.  But what color would I use to go with it.  A quick look around flickr and I had it narrowed down to a few choices.  I could go with aqua, corn, or ash.  I already had white in my stash so I knew I could mix any of the three with the white.  I also thought I could use aqua or corn with the ash.  A quick trip to the local quilt store and I discovered aqua was the only one of my three choices they had in stock.  So aqua and white it was.


I love how quickly this top came together.  I started piecing my squares on Friday night at about 9 o'clock and sewed until about midnight.  By that time I had all of the inner boarders on and one side of my outer boarder.  yesterday I spent a little bit of time sewing and by the end of the night I had squared (well really wonked) all of my squares.  The rows went together super fast and then the top as well.  I have to admit I was a little nervous about the wonky part.  I don't do wonky really well but this was a great quilt for getting my feet wet.  These blocks are wonky on purpose and not just because my seams aren't quite right.  And now that I've accomplished the look in a way that makes a lot of sense it will be a method I can see myself using again. 


I'm going to check out a couple of thrift stores this week and try to find a vintage sheet for the back of this quilt.  Something nice and bright.  And then I plan on doing a little free motion quilting on it myself.  I think that this one is small enough to manage on my home machine.  It's a little smaller than what I usually like to make but I think this one will be just right to keep around on those spring days when you need a little something but don't want to be completely bundled up.  I'm considering Spring Weekends as the name for this one but as always I'm open to suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.