Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Whimsy

I know, two post in one week and it's only Tuesday.  Like I said when I got home it was dark and rainy and I needed to decompress so I spent some time with Bertha.  Before you go thinking I went all wonder woman or something in all fairness I had all but 2 blocks made for my APQ Quilt and these blocks were made, they just needed the neutral sashing and to be sewn together.  And since I was able to chain piece on the neutral fabric it went together all easy like.

Blocks before neutral sashing
This pattern is another Piece of Cake pattern by Camille.  The pattern is available in her shop but I actually made this one as part of her second Craftsy Class-Playful Piecing Techniques.  I love that it goes together rather quickly but still has good impact.  I had picked up the Whimsy layer cake during the great fabric destash over on Instagram (which is still going strong by the way).  I thought the fabrics were nice and soothing and they have such a nice hand to them.

Testing the layout

I was testing out my layout here.  I have a hard time with quilts sometimes where you make all the blocks and then arrange them.  You only need 30 blocks for this quilt so I had removed the duplicates in the layer cake to narrow down to the right number.  I still ended up with my aqua than any other color but I think it looks okay.  My finished quilt isn't the same as this layout but having it in black and white sure did make it easier to see areas that we lacking variety.

Finished quilt top

Overall if you are looking for a quick project that can be sewn up in one very productive weekend or maybe over a few weeks I would recommend any of the Piece of Cake patterns.  This is the second one I have made and honestly I have a Little Black Dress Layer Cake that I am considering making up into one of these patterns as well.

Sorry for the bad iphone photos-did I mention it was dark and rainy all weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.