Monday, March 31, 2014

APQ Quilt Along

I'm back from Bolivia-I promise a post on that coming soon but right now I am still trying to sort out my feelings and thoughts.  I can't wait to show you guys some photos and tell you a few stories once I work it all out.

One of my Favorite Blocks

While I was gone Bertha took a little trip to the sewing machine spa.  I missed her annual check up last year and while I didn't notice anything wrong with her she sure sounds happier now that she is back.  Before I took her in I was having a problem with my thread breaking sometimes when sewing but I just assumed it was me-now I realize it was probably a tension issue.  I'm happy to have her back home and happy because we have already spent a lot of quality time together.

Row 1 sewn together

The first project I worked on was my APQ Quilt Along.  I needed to make 2 more blocks and after asking all of you over on Instagram about the possibility of having 4 red blocks in the middle everyone encouraged me to go random.  I sort of listened.  I did end up putting those blocks with the red x's in the four corners but it doesn't really stand out as much as a design element that way.

Making Progress

I also listed when everyone told me to go without the sashing.  I understand now how smart the designer was to include it.  While I really like the way these blocks look without it-matching up some of these seams really was a bear.  Especially where those little 1 inch squares come together.  In the end I think it is well worth it but I think the sashing would have made the construction a little easier.

Finished Quilt Top

I used Scrumptious by Bonnie & Camille for the fabric and the pattern is from the APQ Magazine.  If you are on Instagram check out the #apqquiltalong for lots of photos and to see how everyone interpreted this same pattern.  I love the variety, some are very scrappy like the original, some are all made from one fabric line like mine, and others are a nice mix of both.  It's so interesting to see how the same pattern can look so differently when made up in different fabrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.