Saturday, March 20, 2010

Things I'm Glad I Learned From My Daddy (Part 1)

Happy National Quilter's Day! I thought I would start my day by going to some new local quilt stores I had never explored before. Don't get to excited I didn't buy a single thing and with the exception of one store they only further solidified my opinion that the locals do not believe in more modern quilting or that anyone under the age of 50 should participate in the craft. On my way home from the quilt stores since I hadn't bought any fabric I thought I would treat myself to a grilled portabella mushroom sandwich. It is amazing though today I didn't get to enjoy it. After standing in line for over an hour for a sandwich, yes I know I'm crazy and I should have left but after 20 minutes in I was committed. I went out to the car and programed in my next stop on the mini tour of quilt shops backed out of the parking space and hear this strange noise. Immediately I knew I was in trouble. Scuff Scuff, oh no you have got to be kidding me right. Sure enough my tire was flat as a pancake. Now might be a good time to mention the road in front of the previous store was closed for construction and I had to make a minor detour and park in the parking lot next door. So I did what any sane person would do. Pulled over into the flattest part of the parking lot and called my husband. Nope he was fishing so no answer there onto step two. I looked around to see if anyone was going to help me. Did I mention the sandwich shop where I was at was slam full of people and the front lawn was covered with people having picnics and enjoying the weather. Nope no one. So I went to the trunk got out my spare tire and jack and started jacking up my car. I thought for sure at this point someone would realize what I was doing and would offer to help. Nope, one guy even sat in his car right beside me and I'm not sure but I think he was taking notes so he would know what to do if he ever got a flat tire. Needless to say I had the spare tire on and I was putting the lug nuts back on before anyone offered help. Thanks to that guy though because he did put the lug nuts on and jack the car back down. After all of that my spare was flat too so I had to creep down the road about two blocks to get air in the spare. Of course I made it home safe and sound and when my husband came home he took my tire to have it plugged but all in all it made for an eventful day. I was so thankful that my dad had taken the time a long time ago to teach me how to change a spare tire. I never actually had to use that knowledge until today but I was glad to have it. Who knows if I had to wait on the kindness of a stranger I might still be sitting in the parking lot. So ladies if you have never changed a tire and don't know how have a dad, husband, boyfriend, friend, sister, or someone show you how to do it soon. You just never know when you might need that knowledge.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it home safe and sound! Dads are the best!

    I'm have the same feeling about the quilt shops around here. I do like to go for the atmosphere and can get some fabric there but it's really nothing that I drool over or that I would use in a quilt from someone young. I hate to say this but I have better luck at Joann's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that funny Greta, same happened to me with the tyre! I had never been shown how to do it but gave it a go... Got rescued by someone at just the point I was ready to lift the tyre off so that was good as I don't think I would have got the spare on and would have had enough strength to tighten the nuts and bolts again!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.