Monday, January 18, 2010

What's Black and White and Red All Over

A newspaper or in this case Heidi's block. I use to love that joke from the taffy when I was a kid. I don't know why. For January over at the Circuit Block Party Heidi asked that we make a Dutchman's Puzzle block using the tutorial at Modify Tradition. The block looked easy peasy to me so I thought no worries. It is eight flying geese arranged to make an inter pinwheel. Easy peasy, who was I kidding. It seemed like I was fighting the fabric the whole time I was working on this block. I made the flying geese and they seemed warped and crooked so I took them apart and made them again, same effect. I tried pressing the seams open. Then I tried closed. No dice. I made the block and overall I am happy with the look of it. Hopefully when it is squared up with the others Heidi will be happy with it as well.


I'm not a big fan of oriental inspired fabrics but I think Heidi's choices for this quilt are going to be great. She did a great job of mixing them in there in a subtle and non overbearing way. My only complaint at the end of this block is that Heidi ask we not square them up. Of course it bothers me to show a block here that really isn't finished because you get to see how messy I am. But I think over all it will be good for her because that way she will be able to trim them all to the perfect size for her. Can't wait to see the finished product.

1 comment:

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.