Saturday, February 12, 2011

A little Love, A Little Luck

I'm feeling pretty lucky today.  But let's start with the Love part.  I am one of those people who never does anything with my hair.  I have stick straight very thin hair and it just kind of hangs there so everyday I just throw it up in a pony tail and go about my day.  Not anymore!  Back in December I started thinking about getting my hair cut and then I realized it was almost long enough to donate to Locks of Love.  I got on their website and did a little research and found out I needed a minimum of 10 inches.  No problem there, my hair was already almost half way down my back.  Then I was watching tv and saw some silly reality tv and they were doing a feature on Locks for Love.  I though humm that must not be by chance so I started making my plan.  I mentioned at work that I wanted to do this and was totally caught off guard when one of my coworkers said she would like to do the same thing.  So last week we made appointments and today we both chopped off all of our hair.


On to the luck part, last week I was talking with my good friend Mary and she was telling me that after realizing my postage stamp quilt was made with just two jelly rolls she wanted to make one.  She mentioned that she had a Swell Jelly Roll to use.  (This is one line I really liked but had given up on.  I've come across a tiny bit of it here and there but had swapped what I had gotten because I knew I would never find enough to make a whole quilt with)  I quickly quipped back that I would cut off my right arm for a Swell Jelly Roll.  Later she told me it wasn't Swell but Sweet but please not to cut off my arm.  We laughed and I forgot all about it.  A few days later she told me she found a Swell Jelly Roll on Craigslist for $15 bucks but it was in Idaho.  She sent me the listing and I told her I was going to call the woman when I got home from work.  Before I could do any of that Mary had already contacted the seller and gotten her to agree to ship it.  Did I mention I have some of the best online quilt friends a girl could have.  Well guess what showed up at my house today.  Yup, my very own Swell Jelly Roll.  And believe it or not I already have a plan for this and I can't wait to get started.  There are just a few things in line before this one.


I also wanted to say a big thank you to all of you who helped out with my Neptune quandary.  Most of you are set as no reply bloggers so I could personally thank you for your help but because of it and a few online swaps I think I now have everything I am going to need except backing for my Anchors Away quilt.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like your jelly roll was the accrued good karma from donating your hair! My daughter donated to Locks of Love last year - she nearly backed out at the last minute because she is so fond of her hair, but she bit the bullet. It is a wonderful charity - too bad you didn't give us a photo of the "new you"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My LQS still has a number of these prints on bolts, so let me know if you want me to pick up yardage for you for your backing/binding. ;)

    Good for you for donating your hair! And I agree with Lesly...we need an after picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did the package I sent arrive alright? I can't remember if you said so or not but the others I sent that day did arrive.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.