Sunday, December 26, 2010

Let it Snow Let it Snow Let it Snow

Some of you might remember last winter when I was super excited about the fact that we were getting a whole whopping 2 inches of snow. I was thrilled because we hardly ever see snow here on the east coast of Virginia being as close to the ocean as we are. But man that snow storm last year has nothing on what's going on around these parts today. At last check I had 10 inches of snow on my back deck. I thought at first it might have been in part due to a drift building up out there but after taking a quick peak at the cars and the roof of my garage I actually believe we have gotten that much snow. In even better news (well if you like snow) it is still falling. Nothing like the help of mother nature to make me want to stay inside with some Peppermint Tea and my sewing machine. I have been thinking a lot over the last few weeks about what I want my sewing goals to be for the upcoming year and I have a lot of ideas running around in my head. Because of that I want to make sure that all of my bee block commitments are current and that no one is waiting for me.


This picture is from about 10:30 this morning.

I had the privilege of being in two bees this year with Rachel and the poor thing had the last month in both of them. I received her fabrics last week and so I started there. First she is in my Spider Bee and she chose this great strip for the middle of her spider web blocks. One thing I really enjoyed about Rachel's fabrics is that the colors and textures of her fabrics were such a wide variety. She included everything from buttery soft voile to home deco weight fabrics. She did ask that we not sew the triangles together because she is considering setting her blocks on point. I thought that was a great idea for these fun little spider webs.


Next up we also shared the Modern Tradition Bee. For this bee Rachel included fabrics in much the same colorways and asked for Buzz Saw blocks. Here is what I came up with. I knew I didn't want the fabrics in the HST to repeat themselves in the same blocks so I ended up pulling quite a few fabrics from my scrap bin to mix along with those that Rachel sent. The great thing was she sent such a wide variety nothing really seemed out of place. And do you see that instruction sheet there in the middle. I called Rachel an overachiever but she really did out do herself with the personalized address labels she included on and in the package and the instruction sheets in full color on nice shiny paper. Don't get to jealous girls she is a graphic designer by day and used that as her explanation for the great sheets. I was just excited because it made the process of putting her blocks together super easy and enjoyable.

1 comment:

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.