I've been working on my Complications quilt again a little this week because I am procrastinating the bag, pillow cover, and block I have to make by the end of the month. I know it happens but I will manage to get it all done. One of the biggest challenges for me of this quilt is filling all of the empty spaces. I still have a few more blocks to make but I'm a little impatient so I like to mix it up some and alternate between the blocks and building the other pieces. In this case I was working on the chunk of quilt that goes to the right of puzzle piece one. In the original pattern that area is mostly just made up of little squares. I chose to make an extra block or two to take up some of that space and mixed in some large squares of fabric as well.
Pretty Little Squares
One challenge I realized I was having is getting an even distribution of color. See I have some fat quarters that I haven't even cut into yet. Please tell me I am not the only one who does this. I don't have a large stash so fabric hoarding isn't really a problem for me most of the time. But in this case in my mind I know I should be cutting them up so that I don't end up with all of some fabrics at the top and all of others at the bottom. In my mind I know it will give me a more cohesive look which is what I'm really after but when I start sewing I can't help but think I don't want to cut those up just yet because they are so pretty sitting there. Plus I think I get scared that since I don't have all of my blocks made just yet that I will end up not having enough fabric or large enough pieces to finish. I did force myself into it once I realized that I have been gravitating towards all those yummy pinks while working on this quilt. I have lots of pink fabrics mixed in and sometimes it was hard even just getting blocks to go where I wanted without having too much pink in one space.
So that's it for me this week. Head over to Lee's to see what everyone else is up to.