Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Farmer's Wife?

Last week I read a funny little blog post about the Farmer's Wife Quilt Along and a trial separation.  I laughed at all the humor of the post and remarked in the comments that I was sure before this was all said and done I was going to be taking my turn at separation little did I know that this week I would move right past that and be at the courthouse with divorce papers in hand.  I want to leave my farmer this week.  It all started harmless enough when I decided I would try and paper piece one of the blocks.  I'm not very good at paper piecing and it's not something I really enjoy.  Of course you normally get all these nice pretty points and beautiful blocks but not me.  I end up with extra fabric in my blocks somehow and everything in reverse.  So I tried to start with what I thought would be an easy enough block and chose square dance.  I mean really how hard could it be it's really just four flying geese and a couple of squares.  I hated it so much I chopped it all up to reuse the fabric without even taking a picture.  My points we all cut off and I hated it.

Next I tried using the templates again.  Once more I started with an easy block because the farmer and I were already on the rocks and it was the hubs birthday so I didn't have a ton of sewing time.  This time as I was trimming up the block I cut too much off one side and now that block in 1/4 inch too small.  Not a good thing for this farmer and me.

I did finally manage to sew up a few blocks with little incident so I have something worth while to show you.  So here they are my week 9 blocks.



Block # 48 Homeward Bound

 For Homeward Bound I did change this block a little bit since I was making it without the templates.  Those 2 1/2 inch squares in the corners are tiny 4 patches in the original block but since 3 of the squares are the same fabric I just sewed two small squares together and then cut a 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch strip for the other side.  Does that make sense?


Block # 62 Old Windmill
 
Block # 70 Prairie Queen

I know I'm not going to have enough Fresh Cottons to make all of the blocks and sashing for this quilt so I am debating adding another Fig Tree line to my blocks.  If anyone has suggestions of which line you think will blend nicely with Fresh Cottons let me know because I am open to suggestion.  Since this is such a long term project I'm thinking I need to find something a little newer since Fresh Cottons is already proving difficult to find.

4 comments:

  1. Love the Prairie Queen block -- don't get divorced yet!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA, that was funny. I think a trial separation for a day or two is OK, but no longer! I have been separated now for 2 days, due to cutting tiny HST's 1/8 inch smaller than I should have. The regret of wasted fabric is killing me. I'm still working on week 4....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if your following Lori Holt at Bee In My Bonnet - she is amazing!!!
    She is giving many tutorials on cutting many blocks and sewing rather than templates!

    I commented before that I am also using Fresh Cottons (still waiting for my fat quarter bundle to arrive!!! Last one they had!!!

    I already have some fat quarters but was having a difficult time locating anymore so I emailed Joanna at Fig Tree and she was extremely helpful.

    Other collections similar coloring to Fresh Cottons are Strawberry Fields and Buttercup.

    Coral and yellow from Breakfast at Tiffany's are good although the rest of the line is generally darker than Fresh Cottons.

    I also asked if I should use plain white or cream with the quilt - she suggested cream and that white was usually too stark with Fig Trees colors.

    I hope this is useful.

    I adore your blocks and can't wait to catch up to all you've done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how your homeward bound block turn out, with those fabrics. Very pretty. The fresh cottons is a very pretty selection for this quilt. I am not sure which fabrics I would add though. So far the farmer and I are having a happy relationship... of course I have only done the easy blocks so far, LOL!
    ~ Kimberlee at The Spunky Diva 

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.