Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Farmer's Wife QAL Week 7

I managed to sneak in a few more blocks for the farmer's wife quilt along.  Here is a look at my blocks for this week.

Block # 81 Snowball
I think that block 81 might be my favorite so far.  The colors in the photo are off just a little bit but I really like the bright pink against the white with a hint of pink background.  I also decided this might be my favorite way to make snowball blocks.  I used half square triangles instead of the templates.  Snowball blocks just never seem to work out quite right for me and I spend a lot of time pressing and remaking.  This one went together like a dream.

Block # 49 Honeycomb

Block # 66 Periwinkle
 Perwinkle is one of the few blocks I've made actually utilizing the templates.  I took it about 1/2 way apart after sewing it the first time because it was slightly too small.  It's better now but see that section in the top left.  It's still just a tad short.  So I am sure that I will either be seam ripping this one apart or remaking the block.  Typically I would just remake it because I'm lazy like that but I really like the colors in this block and since I am using the limited fabric I have for this collection I'm a little scared to just recut.  I just don't know if I would like a different color combo as much.
Block # 41 Friendship Star

It wasn't until after I took this group shot for last weeks blog post that I realized there was something wrong with my friendship star block.  It's a little hard to see there in the lower right of the photo but one of the star points is upside down.  I took the row apart and flipped it over and resewed it and then realized that didn't work either.  Not sure what I was thinking.  So I took it apart again and took the whole row apart (I did this while talking on the phone, I should have known better because I was already super tired) as a result I took the wrong row apart and had to then continue ripping seams.  It was a good lesson learned that even though these blocks are addictive when you get tired you make silly mistakes and sometimes have to just say enough it's time for bed.

There are a lot of great pictures of blocks showing up over on flickr.  You can check them out here.  I really like the way a few people have put their own spin on some of the blocks.  For example Camille really added a nice touch to block 73 Rainbow Flowers by adding a little detail in the corner of each layer.  I love the way Kerri brought focus to the pinwheel in Big Dipper.  I have already made this block but am considering remaking it with the pinwheel as the focus because you all know how much I love a good pinwheel.  What about you, what are you doing to add a special touch to make this quilt one of a kind?

2 comments:

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.