Saturday, November 20, 2010

Trying Something New

For October in the Modern Tradition Bee, Sandra, asked us to make a log cabin block with strips from a Verna Jelly Roll she was sending. Here's the catch, she wanted us to pick an applique pattern and use fabrics from our stash to make a little magic in the middle of the block. Let me start by saying that up until I made that goldfish block a few days ago I have never appliqued anything in my life. Obviously I was a little nervous when the fabric reach more doorstep a few days before I left for Texas. Turns out there really wasn't anything to be scared of. I really like the over all look of this block and it gave me the chance to try out somethings I had been wanting to do for awhile. I got my applique pattern here. The last flower on the log cabin logs isn't attached. I wasn't sure if Sandra would like it there so I am sending it back to her along with the finished block so she can decide, but I thought it was cute.


Ever since seeing this pillow my friend Cory made I knew I had to try out those birds. I wrote her and asked how she did it and then filed her response in my, if I ever get that brave bucket, and went on about my business. I love the look of Cory's black outline on her birds because it makes them look like a little sketch. I however used the same pink variegated thread I used for the applique. I'm wondering now if this was a good choice but I think it's kind of cute. So for me I'm considering it a win. Here's a close up of my bird. Not perfect, but not bad for a first try and well I kind of look that he looks like his feathers are ruffled because I've been feeling a lot of that lately so it suits me.


Finally I managed to finish the third goldfish block today. Nope, still not a fan of paper piecing. I don't think it looks horrible but it's far from being great at the same time. I hate sending something to a bee mate that I'm not totally proud of so I hope my extra block will make up for some of the imperfections. I can't believe the year is coming to an end already and that most of my bees will be wrapping up soon. I'm glad that I'll be getting some sewing time back for things other than bee blocks but it's a little bittersweet as well. To be honest I look forward to seeing those little packages each month and wondering what's next.

2 comments:

  1. Greta I just love this block you have made for me and the bird is just so cute. I also love the extra little flower so if you haven't packaged the block then please go ahead a stitch it in place. This was not at all what I had in mind when I asked for floral applique but I really love what you have done. I guess that is the great thing about being in a bee, you get lovely ideas from your bee buddies. Thank you so much for this truly beautiful block. I can't wait for it to come back home to me!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the fish turned out really well. Also love the bird. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.