Sunday, October 10, 2010

Let's Talk About Bees, Man


Quaterfoil Block for Rebecca
August Modern Tradition Bee

About this time last year I saw a lot of blogs talking about the wonderful adventure of quilting bees. The great friends you could make, the fun of making and swapping blocks for 12 months, the ability to try out new techniques on a single block and not a whole quilt. Being overly zealous as usually I found myself joining a bee, followed by a few more, and then to top it all off I started one of my own. Through out the last year these bees have been amazing. I have gotten to try things I never would have tried on my own. I've made some of the best friends in the world and even if I never get to meet them in person I know they are amazing women.



Around the world star for Lydia-July Modern Tradition Bee
This block almost made me give up sewing,
check back for more on that later.


So why talk about bees now, well along with the good always comes some level of frustration. A year ago I wish someone would have told me to slow down and take it easy. While bees are a lot of fun they are also a lot of work. Imagine how busy you are at any given moment in your life and then ask yourself how many blocks can I make in a month that aren't my own choosing. See sometimes people pick easy blocks for bees and sometimes they pick really hard blocks. Sometimes you have to make things a few times before you get it right. Sure playing with other peoples fabric is fun but it can also be stressful if you make a mistake and can't find what you need to correct it.


Purple Bali Pop Blocks for Leah
October Circuit Bee

I'm not saying don't join a bee, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm just saying before you go signing up for 5 of them (like I did) think about the amount of time you have to commit to the project. I'm slowly digging myself out from the blocks that I haven't returned to my fellow bee members. And as I catch up I've been thinking you know it really wasn't fair for me to have this block for so long. I sure hope they weren't in a hurry to finish this. And even though I know a lot of my bee mates are in no hurry and I try to communicate with individuals and bee mama's when I'm running behind on things it still makes one more thing for someone else to keep up with. So ladies I'm sorry if I sent you bee blocks late or if yours are in this stack going out on Tuesday and are behind but I'm glad I could share with those of you looking to join a bee a few things to consider.
Churn Dash Blocks for Heather
September Modern Tradition Bee

1 comment:

  1. Nilssen, "The Point"? :)

    And I'm with you on the bees. I got involved in four too quickly. It was awesome until life turned upside down and now I'm digging myself out of a really deep hole...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.