I mean weeks. Do you ever have one of those days where everything you touch breaks and nothing goes according to plan. This has been one of those weeks for me. Well I joined my first ever virtual quilting bee (to those of you in my bees I apologize now, and I promise I will only send good blocks to you) and I received my first package of fabric this week. I have been chomping at the bit to get started since signing up in November and even though I have had a hundred other projects to do in the mean time I kept thinking I can't wait to get started on this. So first up Melissa from my Modern Quilting Bee choose this block. WOW! What a doosey is the first thing I thought when I saw it. Better make a practice block.
Here are some things I learned in my no good very bad with quilting week. When working with someone else's fabric if it can go wrong it will. My first mistake was in cutting the white fabric. I missed one of the pieces in the instructions so when I got to the end I was missing a 6 1/2" square that is pretty important since it's the center of the block. Of course I didn't have enough fabric left to cut it so I went and got some more white fabric. Thank goodness it was Kona White and not some elusive fabric like Flea Market Fancy.
Next up I attempted to iron the pink solid she sent. Oh you know what's coming right. My iron decided that it had been abused one to many times and spit some silver junk all over the fabric. Of course I tried washing it but it didn't come out. I gave the iron a good cleaning but am pretty sure a trip to Target to replace it will be on the list of things to do tomorrow. Melissa don't worry the pink was Kona Carnation and I was able to find it at a local quilt store.
Up next I stopped in the middle of sewing some blocks and when I came back to it the next day I forgot to move my needle placement to the "scant" 1/4 inch and sewed full 1/4 inch seams which apparently doesn't work with these instructions. My seam ripper and I have a love hate relationship right now. She loves to be used and I hate to do it.
Tonight I put in the last stitches and I was so excited that it was done I ran in here to photograph it and share with the group over on flickr. I uploaded the picture and added to the pool along side of another practice block that was already done and wait that doesn't look right. What's wrong with my block. Oh you have to be kidding me. Somewhere around step 7 out of 20 I sewed something together backwards. So looks like me and that seam ripper are going to get to be even better friends now. Do you see it. Taunting me there.
Although since it is just a sample blocks and I do actually really like it the way it is I am tempted to leave it alone and just make my real block sans all the problems. Especially since I have plans for a spider web quilt in the same color scheme. I'm thinking that a row of these across the back of that quilt might be really nice. Oh the possibilities.