Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Confessions of a Noncommenter




I am horrible at comment love!  There I made my confession.  I don't know what it is that makes it so hard to leave comments on the blogs I love.  I guess part of it is my own insecurities that I don't always feel like I can add to the conversation, or that I don't know what I would say other than that the bloggers newest project looks pretty or I like the fabrics.  Sometimes I am so amazed at the skill level that I'm just in awe.  So then why don't I say that?

I never really thought much about comments until lately.  When I first started blogging I did it as a way to share my bee blocks and swaps.  Then after a couple of bad experiences I stopped participating in bees and swaps for a while and my blog just became a place to share my own projects.  That was great and I knew everyone who was reading on a regular basis because they commented regularly and because my base of readers was so small.


I don't have a ton of followers here which is okay because I'm happy just to share what I make and talk freely about what's going on in my little corner of the quilt world.  I don't check my stats page very often but every once in a while I will pop over there just to see what post are getting the most traction so I know what my readers are enjoying hearing about.  I don't want to bore you guys with a bunch of stories that you don't care to read.  Most of the time my WIP Wednesday post have the most views which is no surprise to me because it's a linky party after all and half the fun is popping by the other blogs to see what everyone else is working on.


Friday I linked up with Amanda Jean the second time for Finish it up Friday and all of the sudden I had a ton of page views.  It was totally unexpected to me but I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise because her blog is so popular.  What I did find interesting was that for all of those visitors very few left comments.  I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because that isn't my intention at all.  I just know that I'm not great about leaving comments so it got me thinking.  What is it that gets you to take that extra moment to comment?  Do you think wow that looks cool and then move on to the next blog in your reader?  I know that at home I have that nifty next button that leads me read through my reader on the actual blog page but when I catch up on some blogs during my lunch hour I read them through google reader and honestly sometimes I'm just lazy most of the time and don't take that extra minute to click through to the blog and comment.


 So now I am making a commitment to myself and to all of you that I am going to make it a priority to leave a little comment love for the bloggers I enjoy reading.  I hope you will take a moment out of your day to do the same even if it's not here on my blog because after all you never know when you might give someone that extra spark they need to keep sharing.

3 comments:

  1. Hello there! I got an iPad for Christmas and the reader app makes it so nice and easy to flip through my blogs but you can't leave a comment withough leaving the site so that deters me. Also, some word verifications are difficult (letters AND numbers?!) and I'll try twice but if I still don't get the magic combination I give up.

    My tiny, little blog recently starting getting a ton of spam comments. My heart always skips a little bit when I see I have a new comment and having it be spam was sooooo disappointing. I just turned on the word verification to stop it but was hoping that wouldn't deter anyone from leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never used to comment because as a fairly new (and intermittent) blogger I was pretty shy. Which I now realize is kind of ridiculous. So I've been trying to comment on blogs because I know I like getting them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish my blog reader had an easier way to post comments. But I do really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.