Monday, June 16, 2014

Patchwork Puzzle (Block 1)

The first block for the patchwork puzzle is a very simple plus sign block and I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how to put that together.  But I figured I would share some tips and tricks that I used while making this block.

This is only the first 1/2 of the block.
Notice the way the pieces make
the plus signs.

Based on the 2 1/2 inch block size that we have established you will need to cut these pieces at 3 different sizes.  You will need 2 1/2 inch squares, 2 1/2 by 4 1/2, and 2 1/2 by 6 1/2 pieces for this block in a variety of colors.  You will have several 2 1/2 inch squares that act as filler pieces and do not make up a plus sign. Notice the green square in the first row of my block below.


You will notice that as I made this block I left it in two pieces.  This will help us to avoid those partcial seams and make it a little easier to put together this section of the quilt.

I also made a duplicate of this block which I used to fill in space in the lower left hand corner of my quilt. You may choose to make a duplicate of this block for that space as well.

You can see the quilt that inspired mine here.  As well as read her instructions for this block.  Please note that the sizes I am using may be slightly different as I chose to base all of my measurements around a 2 1/2 inch square early on.

If you end up making this quilt I would love to see it.  If you are over on Instagram please use the tag #patchworkpuzzle or leave a link to your blog post here in the comments.  Happy Sewing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.