Wednesday, June 12, 2013

WIP Wednesday

I had a great time touring around the different quilt stores in Raleigh, NC with my parents the end of last week.  I'm looking forward to sharing a little recap with you all as soon as I have a minute to breath.  But I didn't want to miss my second WIP Wednesday post for the year already so I thought I would at least share with you a little about the mystery quilts since that is what is currently on my sewing room table.

Just a few of the goodies I picked up.  More on these later.

Prior to leaving for Raleigh I had a friend print the instructions for two different mystery quilts.  Just google mystery quilt and you will find several of them.  Of course the fun is not knowing what the finished quilt looks like so you need a friend to help you out by printing out the steps.  Or I guess you could just look at Step 1 like I did.  That's why I had her print two, I gave the instructions in step one a very quick look over to make sure it wasn't too complicated of a project.  Having instructions for two quilts also gave us options.  We could each make the same quilt in different fabrics, different quilts in the same fabrics, different quilts with different fabrics but you get the idea.  I will tell you we did several coin tosses along the way to make the choices for us.  I usually pick my projects and fabrics based on who I am making the quilt for so it was really hard for me to choose since this project was really just about having fun on our trip.

My Mom's Mystery Quilt Fabrics

In the end we choose to make the same quilt but I choose to use the optional border.  I had thought we would pick one of our fabrics from each store but my mom quickly vetoed that idea because of this whole making sure they blend well and match thing.  She ended up going with a gray and yellow color scheme and I ended up with Boho in a green colorway.  While I do use one line of fabric pretty often this is the first time I can recall that I have limited myself to one color way.  I'm hoping the end result will look okay and have enough contrast.  One change we did make was that the original pattern only called for 3 fabrics.  Mom and I both decided to split the fabric for what was referenced as a background fabric into two different fabrics.  Fingers crossed it will work out and won't destroy the pattern at the end.  Picking fabrics for anything other than a scrappy quilt when you don't know what the finished pattern looks like is very stressful.

My Mystery Quilt Fabrics with Optional Border

So that's it for me today, I'm almost through step one of this mystery quilt but I'll be waiting for my mom before moving on to step two or at least before I blog about it.  After all it would take all of the fun out of it if she knew what it was going to look like.  Be sure to head over to Lee's and see what everyone else is up to.

2 comments:

  1. What a fun project to share with your mom! It will be neat to see the same quilt in different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear you enjoyed Raleigh! I kept seeing those seam ripper things and didn't grab one. Probably would help though if I did! lol

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.