|Christine's Quilt Top|
When I first got Christine's quilt top I was determined to get started right away and get this one out on time. So I started working on a friendship braid. Well when that turned out to be an epic fail I was at a loss as to where to go next. I didn't know what I wanted to do and I was out of ideas. I think sometimes that is the hardest part about bees and groups like this. We put so much pressure on ourselves to make something AMAZING that sometimes we miss out on the need for something simple. I was feeling the time crunch and I knew I had to have these two tops in the mail on Monday because I had promised.
|Close up of the stacked logs.|
I had been so inspired by this quilt, in fact it was the reason I joined this group. So I did a little digging and found that the quilt was actually based on a quilt along. So I spent some time really looking at the quilt along and the different layers. In the end I decided to do the stacked logs. I had lots of strips already cut for the friendship braid that hadn't worked and I didn't want to waste them so I added to that and made a border of stacked logs. I used pinks, purples, and yellows to go along with the colors of the flowers in the original center of this quilt and then threw in some greens as well. Mostly because I don't have any purple in my stash and the pieces you see are ones I bought specifically for this quilt from a local quilt store along with some my mom brought me last time I was searching for purple. It really is hard to find good purples so if anyone know of any I would love it if you would share the names so I can add to my collection. This quilt is rather large already as it is now measuring 60" by 60" and it still has a few rounds to go. I did send along some yellow pieces in case Dee wants to put another solid border between our two rounds.
|Pam's Quilt Top. Amazing!|
Next up was Pam's quilt top. I really love the way this top is coming together but I was also extremely intimidated by it. Well after looking at it one thing I really liked was the organic feeling the top had. The middle is a little wonky but not in a sharp angled way but more of a gentle curve. The fabrics in the middle also move from green to blue. I'm sure these are probably pieces of batiks but it really smacked me across the face. The other thing I noticed right away was that Pam had mentioned she wanted this to be a wall hanging and well again it's so large already I knew I wanted my round to be small. I had this idea to do a pinstripe. Of course my stubborn self immediately ruled that out as it was too simple of a concept. But after that nothing I tried seemed right and in the end I knew the pinstripe in all of its simplistic nature was the right way to go. So I added a pinstripe of color that transitions from lime green into orange and then into aqua. And a black border that is actually a tone on tone print. There are various stripes in the black fabric as well. Over all I love what this simple addition does for this quilt top.
|Close up of my pinstripe|
Here is a shot of what my quilt top looked like the last time I saw an update on it. I only asked for a aqua, orange, and gray color scheme. I think it is progressing beautifully.
|The last updated photo of my quilt top. I can't wait for this one to come home!|
PS-Sorry for the bad indoor photos but it was late when I finished these and like I said I had to pack them up to get them in the mail.